Friday, March 18, 2011

A Tilted Mind – Part I


“Every life is a contradiction, a new truth, a new miracle, and even frauds are interesting. I am not a philosopher and I do not believe in philosophies; the word itself I look upon with suspicion. I believe in the right of man to contradict himself.”
                                                                           William Saroyan Myself Upon the Earth

Last year I was told that Phoenix Rising was not being relocated; it was being removed. The city was not making any effort to procure a new site where the memorial would be installed. In fact, the city was attempting to give the sculpture away to the descendents of either Dilworth or Etting – anyone willing to take a 20 foot aluminum sculpture off their hands. However, Dilworth’s law firm stepped in and things changed. Recently I was told that the plan is to relocate the sculpture to Society Hill. A plan I support.

I am concerned with the disposal of the different strata of Philadelphia history. That anything that is not the Liberty Bell is replaceable and removable. That the vernacular is eliminated for the international. That 90% of Frank Furness’ architecture was demolished as a result of drastic and progressive city planning. 

My original intent was to create a web-based documentary about the removal and relocation of Emlen Etting’s Phoenix Rising. My goal was to stir up discussion and controversy. I even entertained the notion that through this blog and future website, I would find collaborators to help me fight to keep Phoenix Rising where it is. That is no longer my goal.

I have decided against the website. It is not the right medium for this project. The project is a film. It has always been a documentary film. It will not be a typical documentary where I intercut interviews with those responsible for moving the sculpture with time lapse footage of the sculpture showing how many people pass by it every day. Nor will I intercut interviews with those responsible for moving the sculpture with those that oppose the moving of the sculpture.

The documentary film is about the history of Philadelphia and the mythology of Philadelphia. Etting has his place in both as do Phoenix Rising and its honoree, Richardson Dilworth. Part of the mythology is that Philadelphia is a city of twos: two rivers, two bridges, two icons. The same goes for Phoenix Rising. It was created by a Philadelphian for a Philadelphian. When the memorial to Dilworth is removed from Dilworth Plaza, should its new location reflect its maker or its honoree? Should it be treated as art or memorial? Another aspect, one that I have been investigating for some time, is the connection in form and design between Phoenix Rising and Cira Centre. Again, twos. One is functional and the other expressive. How do these two pieces work in tandem? Do they? For me, there is a project here beyond the typical political documentary. And with the latest proposal for a statue of Octavius V. Catto to be placed at the south end of Dilworth Plaza, the politics are infinite.

Earlier this month I attended my first Design Advocacy Meeting at the AIA on Arch Street. I urge everyone to sign up and attend these meetings. People can and do speak candidly at these meetings and it is refreshing to hear Philadelphia’s failures, successes, and potentials discussed without inhibition. I found that many others shared my views and reservations. Listening to the latest Dilworth Plaza proposal, which can be found on the CCD website, I began rethinking my project and my views. And my film became much more personal.

My film will deal with Philadelphia the way I see it and the way I interact with it. Perhaps some of my opinions will be unpopular or naïve or biased but they will be mine.  Phoenix Rising’s relocation is a single aspect of my view of this city. While Phoenix Rising is public my connection to it is personal. I view Phoenix Rising as a Philadelphia design. As a native form by a native son. Just because I view the sculpture in this light does not mean that I think it should remain at the north end of Dilworth Plaza. I feel that relocating the sculpture is the only way to give it a chance with the public. 

No comments:

Post a Comment